Certification of Healthcare CPD Professional
This certification program is for individuals in the healthcare continuing professional development (CPD) field who wish to demonstrate their competence and earn the designation of Certified Healthcare CPD Professional (CHCP). The program provides an educational self‐assessment experience while defining competencies for the profession. The CHCP program contains crosswalks to the National Learning Competencies (NLCs). These crosswalks support the healthcare continuing education professional who is responsible for upholding the integrity of activities essential for re-licensure of physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, pharmacists, among others. Individuals who successfully pass the examination are awarded the CHCP credential. The awarding of the CHCP credential assures the public that continuing education professionals understand the principles of adult learning and professional development, know how to frame clinical content for maximum impact, and can interpret rules and regulations for successful continuing professional development educational programs.The CHCP program consists of:
- Initial Certification, which requires candidates to document their professional qualifications and successfully pass a proctored three-hour examination; and
- Recertification, which is available to CHCPs who have documented a Portfolio of performance improvement activities or who choose to sit for and pass the current form of the CHCP exam. Recertification is required every three years.
Why Seek CHCP Certification?
Benefits to Individuals
- Motivates individuals to maintain a career path in Healthcare CPD
- Provides tangible evidence of self-improvement and pursuit of one’s own continuous professional education
- Offers the potential to increase earning power and open up new career opportunities
- Indicates mastery/competency as measured against a defensible set of standards, through examination
- Will receive certificate and lapel pin
- Allows the use of the CHCP credential on stationery and business cards
- Names are posted online in the “Registry of Certified Healthcare CPD Professionals”
- Provides opportunities to volunteer for CHCP related activities within the Alliance
Benefits to Employers
- Raises the level of professional acumen and knowledge of Healthcare CPD rules and regulations
- Increases knowledge and reduces risk of non-compliance
- Improves the level of communication with Healthcare CPD partners
- Documents evidence of continuous professional development
- Supports recruiting, evaluating, promoting and retaining valuable Healthcare CPD professionals
- An opportunity to publicize organizational excellence and your commitment to the Healthcare CPD community and patient
Policy on ADA Accommodations
CHCP Commission does not discriminate against candidates for certification on the basis of race, religion, gender, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, age or disability. In compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), CHCP Commission provides reasonable accommodation for applicants with documented disabilities that may affect their ability to take the Certified Healthcare CPD Professional (CHCP) examination. It is the candidate’s responsibility to notify CHCP Commission of the needed alternative arrangements at the time of application to sit for examination. If you have a disability for which you wish to request accommodation, you must provide the following information and return the Request for Special Accommodations form with required documentation along with your examination application. Attach additional pages as necessary.
To view the full policy, please click here.