Recertification is available to CHCPs who have documented a CPD Portfolio of performance improvement activities or who choose to sit for and pass the current form of the CHCP exam. Recertification will be required every three years but once certified, CHCPs who maintain their certification will not be required to sit for another proctored exam.
CHCPs who allow their certification to lapse will be required to complete the currently available validated, secure, three-hour certification examination in order to be reinstated and will need to re-establish eligibility. All CHCPs are responsible for updating their contact information in order to receive reminder emails prior to losing certification.
Active CHCPs will receive reminders approximately 3 months before the expiration date noted on their certificates. Candidates for EOC or Recertification will submit evidence that they have continued to participate in CPD activities since their previous certification.
Benefits of Recertification
- Demonstrates intense commitment to self-assessment, performance improvement and pursuit of one’s own continuous professional development (CPD) while maintaining the status of Certified Healthcare CPD Professional (CHCP);
- Permits the continued use of the CHCP credential for 3 additional years without being required to sit for the current Form of the 3-hour monitored CHCP Exam;
- Allows CHCPs to continue to have their names posted in the “Registry of Certified Healthcare CPD Professionals” and continue to use the “CHCP” credential on business cards and email stationery;
- Provides material for evaluation of individual employees who excel in maintaining currency in Healthcare CPD matters;
- Offers opportunities for employers to publicize extraordinary organizational excellence and commitment to the healthcare community.
Candidates for recertification must be listed in the current Registry of Certified Healthcare CPD Professionals and must adhere to the policies and procedures posted online, including the CHCP Code of Conduct and the Candidates Handbook.
Candidates eligible for recertification have two options:
OPTION 1: "CPD Portfolio"
To provide a method for CHCPs to formulate and document evidence of continuing competence within the Healthcare CPD field since their most recent certification or extension of certification, in order to demonstrate performance improvement while maintaining their CHCP credential.
- Submit a “CPD Portfolio” via email to the Alliance at firstname.lastname@example.org documenting a minimum of 10 CPD and professional engagement points that demonstrate your performance improvement activities and continued engagement in the “Healthcare CPD ” field
- Project must be completed 1-3 months before the most recent certificate expires
- Once approved and accepted, you will receive instructions to pay the $395 recertification fee, including a $50 processing fee, for recertification
- Your certificate indicating your recertification will be mailed to you.
If you are unable to evidence 10 points utilizing the worksheet you may complete the CPD Performance Scenarios Worksheet for a maximum of 2 points. There are 6 scenarios available for .5 points each. Please submit your scenarios along with your CPD Portfolio to the Alliance at email@example.com.
The “Performance Scenarios” provide opportunities to consider examples of day-to-day issues and activities within the Healthcare CPD ” environment and then to reflect upon how these situations relate to the Content Domains identified as pivotal to Healthcare CPD professionals. Performance scenarios should not include any information that is confidential to the Candidate or to her/his employer. Performance scenarios submitted as part of your portfolio will be peer reviewed.
The review process may take about 2 weeks so allow plenty of time when you submit for recertification.
OPTION 2: CHCP Exam
If you do not meet the minimum required 10 CPD and professional engagement points mentioned above, you may also sit for and pass a current form of the Exam 1 month before your most recent certificate expires. Once approved and accepted, you will receive instructions to pay the $450 recertification fee, including a $50 processing fee, for recertification. Your certificate indicating your recertification will be mailed to you.
For more information on how to sit for the CHCP exam, please click here.
Any applicant whose application for Recertification is denied will automatically be sent information about how to appeal the decision, including steps in the appeal process and additional information required.
Falsification of the application, including failure to provide material information, is grounds for denial of the application or for denial of certification. In such cases, the applicant will be notified in writing of the specific reason. There can be no appeal for failure to submit required material by the deadline.
If you allow your certification to lapse, then your name will be removed from the “Registry of Certified Healthcare CPD Professionals” and you will not be permitted to use or display the CHCP credential.
Reinstatement requires passing the currently available and validated CHCP exam and documenting 15 points of education and experiences within the Healthcare CPD field on the Eligibility Worksheet. There will be a $450 exam fee, including a $50 non-refundable processing fee.